Dental implants not only can restore lost teeth, they can also do the same for your confidence. Implants are a great way to improve your smile, help you to look younger, and enjoy a wide range of healthy foods. They do this without restricting your speech or holding you hostage to worry about your restoration failing.
Five Key Benefits of Dental Implants
Here are five powerful ways that dental implants can help you to live a better life:
- By restoring your smile. Nothing can brighten spirits, persuade prospects, or create a positive first impression faster than a healthy, vibrant smile. Unfortunately, for many of us our smile has lost its shine, whether due to lifestyle factors, health problems, or the simple effects of aging. Dental implants are a great way to regain what the years have taken away.
- By preventing bone resorption. If you’ve ever seen a person who has struggled with missing teeth for a while, then you’ve probably noticed that their face appears to be withdrawn or “shrunken.” This is caused by bone resorption, a problem which dental implants can correct.
- By allowing you to eat a well-rounded diet. People with missing teeth sometimes must sacrifice the foods they love best. Not only does this reduce their quality of life, it can create nutritional deficiencies that lead to severe health conditions. Dental implants eliminate this problem, allowing you to enjoy all the foods you love.
- By enabling you to engage in a full range of social, professional, and business activities. It’s difficult to put your best foot forward when you’re worried about your smile. Like it or not, business or social prospects often judge us by the state of our oral health. Implants help in two ways: by giving you a radiant smile and by helping you to feel better about yourself. That’s the kind of life-changing transformation that pays off in countless ways.
- By giving you added incentive to take good care of yourself. Studies show that people with a positive self-image are more likely to exercise, eat right, and avoid unhealthy lifestyle choices. Given that most of us struggle with our self-discipline, doesn’t it make sense to give yourself a little added motivation?
Three Types of Dental Implants to Consider
Dental implants come in three primary types. These are:
- Single tooth implants. Just as the name implies, these are intended to restore missing teeth one at a time.
- Multitooth implants. The terms “all on four” or “all on six” refer to this option. They’re a good choice for people who still retain some healthy teeth but suffer from gaps in their smile.
- Implant-supported dentures. This is a special hybrid approach that combines a denture plate with four or more implants spread across the upper or lower jaw. Unlike traditional dentures, they can never come loose accidentally and need no messy adhesives to stay in place. Yet the patient can remove the restoration at any time, either for cleaning or to tend to other personal tasks.
In this post we’ve only scratched the surface of a fascinating topic. Talk to your implant dentist soon about your treatment options. You’ll soon have plenty of reason to smile.
About the Author
Dr. Larry Young has been practicing dentistry since 1973, ever since earning his DDS degree from Georgetown University School of Dentistry. He is a member of the Academy of General Dentistry and the Jacksonville Dental Society. You can reach his office online or by calling (904) 731-9833.