One of the great advantages of Invisalign aligners is how easy they are to care for. In this post we’ll cover some basic tips and answer common questions we hear from patients. Use this information along with your dentist’s recommendations to get the most benefit from Invisalign therapy.
Things You Should Do
Here are some ways to take care of your Invisalign aligners:
- Rinse them (in lukewarm water). Rinsing your aligners whenever you take them out of your mouth will remove food particles and saliva while minimizing bacteria.
- Clean them. Soft soap is a good choice for removing stains and substances from your aligners.
- Brush them. Just like your natural teeth, your Invisalign aligners require gentle brushing to protect your oral health.
Following these steps will help to keep your Invisalign appliances in good as they correct your misaligned teeth.
Things You Shouldn’t Do
Avoid doing these things while you’re wearing your aligners:
- Drinking beverages other than water. Wine, tea, coffee and other colored liquids will stain your Invisalign products.
- Using soaps with dyes or irritants. Colorants can stain your appliance while some types of soap contain harsh chemicals. After your dentist to recommend specific brands.
- Rinsing them in hot water. This can ruin their shape, making them useless.
Tips for Travelers
One of the things that makes Invisalign aligners so popular is how gentle they are when compared to traditional braces. But this same factor makes it important to exercise a little extra care with them when traveling. Here are some handy tips to keep in mind:
- Bring an extra set or two with you on trips. For example, you can bring your current set along with your previous one and your next one. To be extra safe, keep each in a different piece of luggage in case one bag is lost or stolen.
- Rinse them after eating out. This will help to keep them comfortable and sanitary.
- Use a protective case. While this is always a good idea, it takes on added importance when traveling.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What should I do if I break my aligners?
A: Contact your dentist right away. You may need to wear your previous or next set while you’re waiting for a replacement.
Q: What should I do if I drop my aligners?
A: You should always make sure the product is hygienic prior to putting it in your mouth. Invisalign make cleaning crystals to help with this priority.
Q: I’ve heard that Invisalign aligners can make speaking difficult. Is this true?
A: In some cases, the wearer may need to practice speaking while wearing the appliance in order to develop proficiency. Usually the learning curve takes only a short time. Ask your dentist for more information.
Q: Can I order new aligners from the company itself?
A: As with all prescription items, it’s important to work with your healthcare provider to obtain replacements. This is done to comply with federal laws and established best practices.
Invisalign aligners offer a gentle, effective alternative to traditional braces. Use the tips in this post to get the most benefit from these helpful products. The time and effort you put forth will more than pay for itself with improved dental health and a brighter, happier smile.
About the Author
Dr. Larry Young earned his DDS degree from Georgetown University. He served as a dentist in the U.S. Army before setting up his practice here in Jacksonville. You can reach his office online or by calling (904) 731-9833.