Invisalign in Jacksonville is a comfortable and convenient way to straighten your teeth in a relatively short period of time! However, while you would never intentionally derail your treatment timeline, there are some simple bad habits that can cause major delays. When undergoing this new orthodontic treatment, it’s important to understand what factors can influence your progress. Here’s what your Jacksonville dentist wants you to know about staying on track for a straighter smile.
How the Invisalign Process Works
Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign utilizes a series of plastic, removable alignment trays. They fit comfortably over your teeth and apply constant, gentle pressure on specific points in your mouth to shift teeth into position. Each custom-made aligner represents another step towards your straighter smile. You’ll move onto your next set once your teeth have adjusted, typically after two weeks. As long as you wear them correctly, you can expect to achieve your final results within only 10 to 18 months!
Bad Habits That Can Cause Delays
However, it’s important to remember that the speed of your treatment relies heavily on how faithful you are to properly wearing your aligners. The most common bad habits that will delay your progress are:
- Not wearing your aligners for at least 22 hours every day.
- Losing, breaking, or accidentally throwing away your aligners.
- Eating or drinking anything besides water while the aligners are in your mouth.
- Not brushing your teeth before putting your aligners in after eating.
- Using abrasive toothpastes or harmful chemicals to clean your aligners.
Tips for Sticking to Your Treatment Plan
Thankfully, a few extra precautions and simple habits can help keep you on track with your Invisalign treatment, like:
- Keep a retainer case and travel-sized toothbrush with you as often as possible.
- Start a new set of aligners before going to bed to make the transition more comfortable.
- Use a timer or smartphone app to keep track of how long you wear your aligners every day.
- Create a daily cleaning routine checklist and practice it until it becomes second-nature.
- Keep snacks out of sight or out of the house to discourage eating with your aligners in.
Invisalign clear braces are an easy, convenient way to correct crooked teeth, but they do have some important do’s and don’ts. As long as you wear your aligners properly, you’ll be enjoying your new happy, healthy, and straightened smile in no time!
About the Author
Dr. Larry Young has been helping the smiles of Jacksonville, FL look and feel their best since 1975. He is a member of several organizations, including the Jacksonville Dental Society, the Academy of General Dentistry, and the Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, and was recently recognized in Jacksonville Magazine as one of the “Top 100 dentists.” With a wide variety of precise, comfortable, and modern cosmetic treatments like Invisalign, he can help you achieve the smile you’ve always wanted. If you’d like to learn more about Invisalign, he can be reached via his website or at (904) 731-9833.